Visit My Website

Visit My Website
Custom Personalized Candy Wrappers

Monday, December 13, 2010

Decorative Things to do With Old Windows

To earn a little extra income, I placed an ad on Craigslist for holiday window painting. It's an art that is slowly going by the wayside.

I was happily surprised by a response from a lady who had two windows for me to paint for her. I thought it odd she would ask that I come pick them up and take them home with me. When I arrived at her home and saw them propped against the garage, I then understood: She was repurposing old windows she had either removed from her own house or had purchased.

It's a clever idea, really and what a great way to decorate either the inside or outside of a home. I used acrylic craft paint to paint both windows, splitting the entire scene between six panes. Several layers were required to successfully cover the glass and the paint doesn't do well is the paint brush isn't loaded to the max with lots of paint the lightly applied over the first coat.

Each pane measure eight inches by twelve inches so would accommodate a nice sized photograph so the windows could be used to frame six pictures by simply holding them with a small glue dot. Stapling one large piece or six individual pieces of fabric to the backside of the frame would be a nice decorative element as would six coordinating scrapbook papers.

This brings me to another idea of creating scrapbook pages and mounting them to the window frame. In fact, you wouldn't even have to cover all six frames. A couple or three could be left "blank".

To hang these, I would buy a picture hanging kit that included both wire and anchors that screw into wood. And, I would buy a picture hanging hook that could bare quite a bit of weight; at least five to ten pounds.

As you can see by the frame with the cardinal painting, my customer removed the old paint down to bare wood, painted or sprayed a fine layer of lacquer on it then stapled artificial garland to the frame and hot glued pine cones on to the garland.

Next time you run across old windows, don't be in too much of a hurry to walk away from them. Have fun decorating one then give it as a gift.

No comments:

Post a Comment